Using COPY in the migration wizard.

From
Kurt Roeckx
Date:
The migration wizard is very slow because it does an insert of
all the records.  Would it be possible to use COPY instead?

What I can do in psql in less than a second takes 10 minutes or
more using the wizard.  That is just for one of the smallest
tables.  For the whole database it's probably going to take days
at this rate.

Is there a reason this isn't currently done?

Kurt

Re: Using COPY in the migration wizard.

From
"Dave Page"

No because there is no interface for copy in the ODBC spec.

> What I can do in psql in less than a second takes 10 minutes
> or more using the wizard.  That is just for one of the
> smallest tables.  For the whole database it's probably going
> to take days at this rate.

Make sure you have logging turned off under Tools -> Options, and that
SQL tracing is switched of in the ODBC driver manager. To be honest
though, if you can get your data in a format for copy, then I would
suggest migrating the empty tables only using pgAdmin, then loading them
using psql.

Regards, Dave.

Date:
On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 10:19:22PM -0000, Dave Page wrote:

> > The migration wizard is very slow because it does an insert
> > of all the records.  Would it be possible to use COPY instead?
>
> No because there is no interface for copy in the ODBC spec.

Don't you directly access postgresql, without odbc?  It's only
the postgresql part that has to use COPY, not when reading the
data.

Kurt

Re: Using COPY in the migration wizard.

From
"Dave Page"

Not in pgAdmin II, that uses ODBC/ADO. pgAdmin III which is in
development uses libpq.

Regards, Dave.