Qt3

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Dear all,

I am stuck down by http://www.globecom.net/tora, an Oracle administration
interface. The software is open-source but not free for commercial use.

What do you think of qt3, which is available freely on both Linux and Windows?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: Qt3

From
Justin Clift
Date:
It has a really good reputation for cross-platform portability.  KDE
(the Unix desktop environment) is based upon QT2/QT3 too.

www.qt3.org

:)

+ Justin

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am stuck down by http://www.globecom.net/tora, an Oracle administration
> interface. The software is open-source but not free for commercial use.
>
> What do you think of qt3, which is available freely on both Linux and Windows?
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel POURE

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Qt3

From
Dave Page

Personally I think it looks very cluttered. There's way too much on the
screen at once imho.

> What do you think of qt3, which is available freely on both
> Linux and Windows?

Well, I agree with Justin's comments (see his message) but it's not really
relevant to pgAdmin is it? I know cross platform is something we discussed
before I really started on pgAdmin II, but at the time none of us were
expert enough in C/C++/Java/Whatever which is why we decided to stick with
VB if you remember. I'm not sure that ~30,000 lines of (RC1 quality) code
into the project is really a good time to think about changing :-)

Otoh, were you aware that pgAdmin II will run under Wine on Linux (and
presumably anything else that Wine runs on)?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Qt3

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
> Well, I agree with Justin's comments (see his message) but it's not really
> relevant to pgAdmin is it? I know cross platform is something we discussed
> before I really started on pgAdmin II, but at the time none of us were
> expert enough in C/C++/Java/Whatever which is why we decided to stick with
> VB if you remember. I'm not sure that ~30,000 lines of (RC1 quality) code
> into the project is really a good time to think about changing :-)

Hello Dave,

I don't want to change pgAdmin II platform. This was just for information.
IMHO, KDE3 is the future as it is really cross-platform and free.
Maybe for pgAdmin III?

What are the guidelines for installing pgAdmin II under Wine?
Is there a need to set up a Linux RPM?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: Qt3

From
Dave Page

Yup, sounds good. I was intending to look at C# when we get to that stage.
It sounds like a nice idea with the power of C/C++ & the ease of use of VB
($DEITY I should be in marketing!). Anyway, there is already an effort to
produce an open source .NET framework & C# compiler underway (I forget who's
doing it, someone well known anyway - I read about it on
www.theregister.co.uk)

> What are the guidelines for installing pgAdmin II under Wine?
> Is there a need to set up a Linux RPM?

There are no guidelines at the moments. Mark has done the work and was going
to write a howto but he's been pretty busy recently. At the moment, I think
you still need to non-redistributable M$ files, so you'd need a Windows
licence, but seeing as you can't really buy a PC without these days, most
people probably have one even if they don't use it.

As for RPMs, personally I try not to use them (I prefer tar -zxvf
...;./configure;make) etc. I can see that they're good though, it's just a
shame a lot of Linux distros (including Slackware which I use) and most(?)
other *nixes don't support them.

/D

Re: Qt3

From
"Roman Zhuravljov"
Date:
Hello there!

Actually I am a new user of this list. Let me say some words about pgAdm....

Once I decided to develop applications in VB. After several years of
experience I came to conclusion that applications made in VB is not fast
enough (including incompatibility with pure Linux/Unix platform in
XWindows). So lately I switched to Delphi. Using the latest Borland
invention - "Delphi for Linux" or Kylix may be the solution for Linux
development.
And also just one thing I experienced using Delphi VCL(Visual Component
Library) - using standard components and modules results exe file grouth up
to 1....2 Mb (in case of complex project). But using Win API and/or
alternative libraries shrinks resulting exe file consideraby (about 10-20
times).

Roman Zhuravljov (roman@va.ttu.ee).

Original quote:

> Well, I agree with Justin's comments (see his message) but it's not really
> relevant to pgAdmin is it? I know cross platform is something we discussed
> before I really started on pgAdmin II, but at the time none of us were
> expert enough in C/C++/Java/Whatever which is why we decided to stick with
> VB if you remember. I'm not sure that ~30,000 lines of (RC1 quality) code
> into the project is really a good time to think about changing :-)

Re: Qt3

From
Dave Page

Hi Roman,

I did consider Delphi before starting work on pgAdmin II. The problem with
it is that I can't easily get the Borland tools - they are costly and not
easy for me to justify to my FD. The code I write here has no real
size/speed problems as we have fairly quick PCs across the network. We also
get the MS tools for very reasonable prices as we are a not-for-profit
organisation.

Privately, justifying the cost to my wife would be, ummm, impossible!

That basically means that anything I'm involved in either needs to be
written using MS or open source/freeware tools...

Regards, Dave.

Re: Qt3

From
"Justin Clift"
Date:
Hi Dave,

Just for reference purposes, two of the best Open Source C/C++ Compilers
I've seen are :

LCC - Windows only.  GUI based, highly optimised code, very good reputation
:

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/

Dev-C++ - GUI tool based upon GCC and MingW.  Also has a good reputation and
is used for cross-platform compiling.  Not as fully developed and polished
as LCC, but a lot of people are using this :

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Hope this is of assistance.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift
> > Actually I am a new user of this list. Let me say some words
> > about pgAdm....
> >
> > Once I decided to develop applications in VB. After several
> > years of experience I came to conclusion that applications
> > made in VB is not fast enough (including incompatibility with
> > pure Linux/Unix platform in XWindows). So lately I switched
> > to Delphi. Using the latest Borland invention - "Delphi for
> > Linux" or Kylix may be the solution for Linux development.
> > And also just one thing I experienced using Delphi VCL(Visual
> > Component
> > Library) - using standard components and modules results exe
> > file grouth up to 1....2 Mb (in case of complex project). But
> > using Win API and/or alternative libraries shrinks resulting
> > exe file consideraby (about 10-20 times).
>
> Hi Roman,
>
> I did consider Delphi before starting work on pgAdmin II. The problem with
> it is that I can't easily get the Borland tools - they are costly and not
> easy for me to justify to my FD. The code I write here has no real
> size/speed problems as we have fairly quick PCs across the network. We
also
> get the MS tools for very reasonable prices as we are a not-for-profit
> organisation.
>
> Privately, justifying the cost to my wife would be, ummm, impossible!
>
> That basically means that anything I'm involved in either needs to be
> written using MS or open source/freeware tools...
>
> Regards, Dave.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Qt3

From
Dave Page

Thanks Justin, I'll take a look when I get 5 minutes.

Regards, Dave.