Re: [HACKERS] What about CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION?

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
> > Did we come to any conclusion about whether to accept Gavin Sherry's
> > CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION patch?
> > http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1035792
> > AFAIR, the score was that I liked it, Bruce didn't, and no one else
> > had expressed an opinion.
>
>I withdraw my objection.  When I read it, I thought we were going to
>have CREATE FUNCTION and REPLACE FUNCTION.  I later realized it is
>literally CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION.  Looks strange, but there is no
>standard way to do this and we usually take the Oracle syntax when the
>standard doesn't specify it.
>
>Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
>pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
>+  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
>+  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Hello,

Does CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION preserve function OID?
What it the difference with CREATE OR ALTER FUNCTION?

We would like to implement pseudo-editing of functions in pgAdmin II.
Is there any solution which preserves function OID?

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: [HACKERS] What about CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION?

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION preserve function OID?
> What it the difference with CREATE OR ALTER FUNCTION?
>
> We would like to implement pseudo-editing of functions in pgAdmin II.
> Is there any solution which preserves function OID?

Yes. The idea was to preserve the OID.

> Best regards,
> Jean-Michel POURE

Gavin

Re: [HACKERS] What about CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION?

Date:
Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr> writes:
> Does CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION preserve function OID?

Yes.  That's the whole point ...

> What it the difference with CREATE OR ALTER FUNCTION?

The former exists (now), the latter doesn't exist.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] What about CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION?

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Dear all,

1) CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
In pgAdmin II, we plan to use the CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION if the patch
is applied. Do you know if there is any chance it be applied for beta time?
We would very much appreciate this feature...

2) PL/pgSQL default support
It is sometimes tricky for Windows users to install a language remotely on
a Linux box (no access to createlang and/or no knowledge of handlers). So
why not enable PL/pgSQL by default?

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Date:
At 00:43 09/10/01 +1000, you wrote:
>Could it not just be a feature of pgadmin to allow users to enable
>plpgsql? Enabling the language is, after all, just SQL.
>
>As for having it by default, this takes some level of control out of the
>hands of the administrator. What if you do not want to allow your users to
>create plpgsql functions?
>
>Gavin

Hello Gavin,

Enabling plpgsql language is just SQL, agreed.

CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler () RETURNS OPAQUE AS
'/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so' LANGUAGE 'C';

CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
HANDLER plpgsql_call_handler
LANCOMPILER 'PL/pgSQL';

But you can never be sure that /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so
is the right path. Maybe a built-in plpgsql_call_handler function would
suffice.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: [HACKERS] What about CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE writes:

> It is sometimes tricky for Windows users to install a language remotely on
> a Linux box (no access to createlang and/or no knowledge of handlers).

Why not run createlang on the host that the server runs on?

Re: [HACKERS] What about CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION?

Date:
> Jean-Michel POURE writes:
>> It is sometimes tricky for Windows users to install a language remotely on
>> a Linux box (no access to createlang and/or no knowledge of handlers).

> Why not run createlang on the host that the server runs on?

I wasn't able to get excited about that argument either.

I believe the primary reason why PL languages aren't installed by
default is security considerations: users can easily create denial-of-
service conditions if given access to a PL.  (Example: write infinitely
recursive function, invoke it to cause stack overflow crash in your
backend, which forces database-wide restart, thereby negating other
people's transactions.  Repeat until DBA kicks you off...)

A DBA who does want to give access to PL languages by default can
easily do so by installing them into template1, whence they'll be
automatically duplicated into newly created databases.  Perhaps this
option needs to be documented more prominently.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane writes:

> I believe the primary reason why PL languages aren't installed by
> default is security considerations

Well, that argumentation seems to be analogous to giving someone login
access on a multiuser computer system but not letting him execute, say,
perl because he might write recursive functions with it.  Such setups
exist (perhaps with something else instead of perl and recursive
functions) but they are not the norm and usually fine-tuned by the
administrator.

We have realized time and time again that giving someone access to a
PostgreSQL server is already a security risk.  Any person can easily crash
the server (select cash_out(2) is prominently documented as doing that) or
exhaust time and space resources by writing appropriate queries.
Privilege systems do not guard against that.  Privilege systems are for
guarding against a reasonable user "cheating".

Now, if a procedural language is not safe (at least as safe as the rest of
the system that's accessible to an ordinary user), then it shouldn't be
marked "trusted".  Otherwise, the consequence of this chain of arguments
is that createlang selectively introduces a security whole into your
system.  Of course, we may warn, "Be careful when installing procedural
languages, because ...".  But are users going to be careful?  How do they
know what kind of care to exercise, and just *how* to do that?

No, I don't think this is the ideal situation.  I don't want to press for
changing it right now because I'm not particularly bothered by it, and the
second sentence of the previous paragraph might just be true.  In a future
life, a privilege system should give finer grained control about access to
PLs, but we might want to think about what the default should be.

Re: [HACKERS] What about CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION?

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
I seem to recall that Oracle has all sorts of fancy resource limits that can
be applied to users.  If such resource limits were implemented, then maybe
the DBA could have the power to limit someone to a maximum of 20% cpu and a
few transactions per second or something.

Chris

Mike Mascari
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> I seem to recall that Oracle has all sorts of fancy resource limits that can
> be applied to users.  If such resource limits were implemented, then maybe
> the DBA could have the power to limit someone to a maximum of 20% cpu and a
> few transactions per second or something.
>
> Chris

I was hoping that after completing the current project I'm working
on I might be able to contribute this feature. Oracle calls them
PROFILEs which are a set of resource limits associated with a user.
They can limit:

No. of simultaneous connections
No. of blocks read per query
No. of blocks read per connection
CPU time per query
CPU time per connection
Idle time

as well as a few more esoteric others. I haven't looked at the new
system resource reporting system that Jan wrote, but I suspect some
of the statistics he gathers might already be available. Limiting
simultaneous connections by a user might take a little effort.
Limiting idle time might as well. Both have been a requested feature
in the past, but have pitfalls associated with them. But right now
denial of service for a user with database access is easy: soak up
all available connections. Like Jan's resource statistics collector,
Oracle's profiles must be enabled in the initSID.ora configuration
file since it takes a few cycles to actually account for user
activity.

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com

Date:
On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Dear all,

[snip]

> 2) PL/pgSQL default support
> It is sometimes tricky for Windows users to install a language remotely on
> a Linux box (no access to createlang and/or no knowledge of handlers). So
> why not enable PL/pgSQL by default?

Could it not just be a feature of pgadmin to allow users to enable
plpgsql? Enabling the language is, after all, just SQL.

As for having it by default, this takes some level of control out of the
hands of the administrator. What if you do not want to allow your users to
create plpgsql functions?

Gavin

Re: [HACKERS] What about CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION?

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Gavin Sherry wrote:

> What if you do not want to allow your users to create plpgsql functions?

This should be part of access control anyway - what if you do not want
allow *some* of your users to create plpgsql functions?

Hannu