Re: PostGreSQL - Accessing It - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mel Roman
Subject Re: PostGreSQL - Accessing It
Date
Re: PostGreSQL - Accessing It  (Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb@eskimo.com>)
List pgsql-general
In article <20030813043808.A15117@laokoon.bug.net>, Thomas Beutin wrote:
>> I have the same problem as Michael.  I've installed postgresql and am
>> running the service, but I can't log in as postgres.  I just tried the
>> command line "psql -U postgres template1", but I get the message
>> "authentication failed for user 'postgres'".  The administrator's manual
>> confirms that I first need to connect as this predefined user, but
>> doesn't say what that user's password is.
> Did You tried "su - postgres" as root? This should bring You into a
> shell of the postgres user.

Thanks for your response.  Sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner
(I was away).

I've changed the password for postgres now and am able to successfully
get into psql as postgres.  I'm now having problems adding myself as a
user.  After reading the admininstrator's manual I connected as postgres
and did a CREATE USER add myself as a user.  When I then try to connect
as myself ("mel"), psql tells me that I'm not set up as a user.  I've
copied my session below for clarity.  What am I doing wrong?

    [mel@Cr168131-a mel]$ su postgres
    Password:
    bash-2.05b$ psql test
    Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

               \h for help with SQL commands
                  \? for help on internal slash commands
        \q to quit

        test=# CREATE USER mel CREATEDB
        test-# \q
        bash-2.05b$ exit
        exit
        [mel@Cr168131-a mel]$ psql test
                psql: FATAL 1:  user "mel" does not exist

--

Mel Roman
mel@melroman.net