Re: I need to take metadata from a shell script. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: I need to take metadata from a shell script.
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6 May 2010 16:15, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
On 5/6/2010 2:57 AM, Jaume Calm wrote:
Hi! I was searching for a command like pg_dumpall but with the
difference that I don’t want a single file for all databases, i would
like to have a file for each one.

I couldn’t fins such command, so the only option I see is to write a
shell script with a loop for all the DBs. The problem is that I’m unable
to find the way to obtain the DBs’ names in a shell script. Can someone
help me with this?

Best regards and thank you all for your time.

Depending on what version of PG you are on, try:

psql -ltA

a little read, cut, awk, perl, etc action and you should be good.

-Andy

Aha, yes, I should really look at the psql options more.

You could extend that to exclude templates and the postrgres database and database attributes:

psql -ltA | cut -d "|" -f 1 | grep -v "\( template0 \| template1 \| postgres \| : \)"

And using Scott's loop:

for line in  `psql -lt | cut -d "|" -f 1 | grep -v "\( template0 \| template1 \| postgres \| : \)" | head -n -1 `; do  pg_dump -f /home/backups/`date +\%Y\%m\%d`/"$line".sql; done

Slightly:

  for line in  `psql -t postgres -c "select datname from pg_database where datname not in ('template0','template1','postgres')" `; do  pg_dump -f /home/backups/`date +\%Y\%m\%d`/"$line".sql ; done

Or adapt it to put it into dated directories.  Anyone got a tidier way? :S

Thom