Re: postgres dies while doing vacuum analyze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Subject Re: postgres dies while doing vacuum analyze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Manuel Sugawara <masm@fciencias.unam.mx> writes:

> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > Manuel Sugawara <masm@fciencias.unam.mx> writes:
> > > [ vacuum analyze dies ]
> > > It is running on Redhat Linux 7.1 i686 with 2.4.2-2 kernel.
> > > Here is the back trace from gdb
> >
> > > (gdb) bt
> > > #0  strcoll () at strcoll.c:229
> >
> > We've heard reports before of strcoll() crashing on apparently valid
> > input.  It seems to be a Red Hat-specific problem; the three reports
> > I have in my notes are from people running RH 7.0 (check the archives
> > from 1/1/01, 1/24/01, 3/1/01 if you want to see the prior reports).
> >
> > It's possible that Postgres is doing something that confuses RH's
> > locale library, but I dunno what.  Since no other platform is reporting
> > it, it could also be a plain old bug in that locale library.
>
> After a look into strcoll I found the bug. Attached is a tarball
> including a patch for strcoll, glibc.spec and an small program that
> shows the bug.

Will do... what is the expected result of the testcase? It seems to
work alright for me, but I'm running a slightly newer version than we
have released yet... (glibc-2.2.3-11, look in rawhide).

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.