Re: File system performance and pg_xlog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Subject Re: File system performance and pg_xlog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød) writes:
> > If you're using raw devices on Linux and get a win there, it's a win
> > for Postgresql on Linux. ...
> > It all comes down to if it actually would give a performance boost,
> > how much work it is and if someone wants to do it.
>
> No, those are not the only considerations.  If the feature is not
> portable then we also have to consider how much of a headache it'll be
> to maintain in parallel with a more portable approach.

Cleanliness and code quality are obvious requirements.

> We might reject such a feature even if it's a clear win for Linux,
> if it creates enough problems elsewhere.  Postgres is *not* a
> Linux-only application, and I trust it never will be.

No, but if Linux-specific approach gives a 100% performance boost,
it's probably worth doing. At 1% it probably isn't. Same goes for
FreeBSD and others.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.