Re: 486 Optimizations... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Subject Re: 486 Optimizations...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:

> * Trond Eivind Glomsr?d <teg@redhat.com> [001114 15:43]:
> > Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> >
> > > Anyone care if I build a patch to kill the -m486 type options in the
> > > following files:
> > >
> > > $ grep -i -- 486 *
> > > bsdi:  i?86)  CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -m486";;
> > > freebsd:CFLAGS='-O2 -m486 -pipe'
> > > univel:CFLAGS='-v -O -K i486,host,inline,loop_unroll -Dsvr4'
> >
> > Why would you want to? Not all gccs support -mpentium/mpentiumpro etc.
> I would remove it entirely.
>
> Why should a package FORCE 486 or any other processor optimizations?

It doesn't force, it only uses those if you don't specify any yourself
AFAIK (at least, that's the normal way to do it)

FWIW, this was what Red Hat Linux used up to and including 6.2 - it
increases performance on almost every chip, it runs everywhere, it
goes with any gcc.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.