Re: Table partitioning for maximum speed? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Table partitioning for maximum speed?
Date
List pgsql-general

JB> Will a query against a table of 0.5 million rows beat a query against
JB> a table of 7 million rows by a margin that makes it worth the hassle
JB> of supporting 15 "extra" tables?

I think you'll be better off with a single table, as you won't have
contention for the index pages in the cache.

One thing to do is to reindex reasonably often (for PG < 7.4) to avoid
index bloat, which will make them not fit in cache.  Just check the
size of your index in the pg_class table, and when it gets big,
reindex (assuming you do lots of updates/inserts to the table).

Your table splitting solution sounds like something I'd do if I were
forced to use mysql ;-)

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/