Re: pg_restore takes ages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: pg_restore takes ages
Date
Re: pg_restore takes ages  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general

SD> You can try creating index/triggers first and load the data. At the
SD> end it will take a while before you get a usable database with either
SD> approach but see what works faster for you.

The triggers and FK's don't do much at the time they are created.
They work upon update/insert/delete of data.

SD> footprint. I dropped the table and recreated it. Also created index
SD> before loading data. The loading was slow with this approach but it
SD> finished in 3 hours. And I had an updated index as well. Just had to
SD> run vacuum over it.

I cannot believe that this was faster than load data followed by
create index.  Perhaps you needed to bump sort_mem so the index could
be created more efficiently.  I also find that bumping up
checkpoint_segments to a high number speeds things up considerably.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/