Re: a request for some experienced input..... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gunnar R|nning
Subject Re: a request for some experienced input.....
Date
List pgsql-general
"Beth K. Gatewood" <bethg@mbt.washington.edu> writes:

> Hi all-
>
> We are leaning toward using postgresql for a current project we are
> expecting at least 10 million data points.  Currently the design has at
> least 20 tables (and we are expecting at least 5 more).  Probably one
> table will hold at least 500,000 tuples (probably 5 columns the larges
> field being varchar2(250) ).  Sorry-I don't have better descriptions of
> the data at this point.  Honestly, we are especially new to the whole db
> admin issues from a project of this size.

We been implementing and maintaining a portal site for a client on
PostgreSQL since May. This site has about 40 tables and couple of them have
500K-1500K rows. Performance and stability has been very good, no data
losses and no problems with our use of foreign keys.

The learning curve for PostgreSQL has also been much faster than it has
been for similar projects we've had on Sybase earlier.

All in all I'm very impressed with PostgreSQL, but I still miss a good
fulltext engine and better tools for the design stage(like PowerDesigner).

Regards,

    Gunnar