Re: Optimizing query? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hamann.w@t-online.de
Subject Re: Optimizing query?
Date
List pgsql-general
Pavel Stehlule wrote:

>> etc

>>  in the

>> ])');
>> >>

>> > Have you tried the substring function?
>> >
>> > select  .... from tab1, tab2 where substring(tab1.code from 1 for 5) =3D
>> > tab2.code

Hi Pavel, it was just by chance that a fixed size substring would match the
data at hand. It is more common to have a digit/letter (or vice versa) boundary
or a hyphen there

>> ll candidates in table 2
>>  800 entries in tab2
>>
>> any join where result is related to some function result can be very
>> slow, because estimation will be out and any repeated function
>> evaluation is just expensive.

I see the problem since obviously every the ~ operator with a non-constant
pattern is constantly recompiling the pattern.

I wonder whether it would be possible to invent a prefix-match operator that approaches
the performance of string equality. I noted in the past (not sure whether anything
has changed in regex matching) that a constant leading part of regex would improve
performance, i.e. use an index scan to select possible candidates.

>> You can try use a functional index.
>>
>> create index on tab2 ((substring(tab1.code from 1 for 5))

What kind of trick is that - mixing two tables into a functional index?
What would the exact syntax be for that?

Regards
Wolfgang Hamann