Re: Fuzzy matching? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Fuzzy matching?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Joe,

> In any case, metaphone is reportedly more accurate (at least for
> English
> words) than soundex, and levenshtein offers an entirely different and
> interesting approach. Any interest in having all three of these in
> the
> backend?

I'm quite interested, myself.  How difficult is it for somebody that
doesn't program C to attach a function from the Contrib directory?  If
it's not very difficult, then I'd recommend putting metaphone in
/contrib, and levenstein in the backend.  My reasoning is that
levenstein is useful for all roman alphabets, but metaphone is not so
useful for non-english versions of postgres.

-Josh