Re: Fuzzy matching? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Fuzzy matching?
Date
Re: Fuzzy matching?  ("Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: Fuzzy matching?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
> > Sounds like you want something along the lines of soundex or metaphone?
> > don't see either function in PostgreSQL, but take a look at the PHP
manual
> > to see examples: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.soundex.php ,
> > http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.metaphone.php
> >

> See /contrib/soundex.

Sorry, missed that -- I only looked in the Documentation :(
I guess it's not there because it is a contrib. FWIW, both Oracle and MSSQL
have a built-in soundex function.

In any case, metaphone is reportedly more accurate (at least for English
words) than soundex, and levenshtein offers an entirely different and
interesting approach. Any interest in having all three of these in the
backend?

-- Joe