Re: Fuzzy matching? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fuzzy matching?
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I'm quite interested, myself.  How difficult is it for somebody that
> doesn't program C to attach a function from the Contrib directory?

Run the install script.

> If it's not very difficult, then I'd recommend putting metaphone in
> /contrib, and levenstein in the backend.  My reasoning is that
> levenstein is useful for all roman alphabets, but metaphone is not so
> useful for non-english versions of postgres.

Our usual practice with stuff of uncertain usefulness has been to stick
it in contrib for awhile and see if anyone uses it.  If there's
sufficient interest, we'll promote it to mainstream in a future release.
        regards, tom lane