Re: How Postgresql Compares For Some Query Types - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: How Postgresql Compares For Some Query Types
Date
List pgsql-sql
Mark, (and Tom below)

    Thanks for doing the tests.  These'll be useful to me if any client
asks me again if PostgreSQL is a "real" database.  I'm particularly
intrigued that MySQL performed so poorly.  In the field, it's been quite
speedy but maybe that's because applications using it are restricted to
simple queries.

    You may wish to post your link to Slashdot and pgsql-announce as well.
I'm sure the Great Bridge folks will be interested.

    I'm a little unclear on what a "fact table" is.  Can you explain?

    Finally, Tom, I figured out what was up with the 30-45 second response
time on the large star query I couldn't get to perform.  Turns out that
the client had changed two of the VARCHAR fields to TEXT fields and
added large blocks of text (> 16k for some) to them.  When I removed
these fields from the query, it gives me the <7s response time I'd
expected.

                            -Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com