Re: Cross database foreign keys - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Cross database foreign keys
Date
List pgsql-sql
Morgan,

> Does anyone know if it is possible to connect to a differernt db from
> within a plsql function.
> I have multilple inter-related schemas and want to enforce some fk
> relationships.

Currently Postgres does not support any SQL operations between
databases.  It may someday in the future, but then again it may not
(it's a design philosophy issue, I believe).

I don't know of *any* RDBMS that allows foriegn keys between databases!
If referential integrity is your goal, why on earth is the related data
in two different databases?

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com