Re: not null - trivial, unexpected behavior - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: not null - trivial, unexpected behavior
Date
List pgsql-sql
Peter,

> Correction:  Each Boolean expression can have one of *three* values:
> true,
> false, unknown (null).  So those two sets will not be "complimentary"
> in
> the traditional sense because both expressions _should_ (modulo the
> information I pointed you to) return "unknown".

I agree pretty strongly with Peter here ... the " = NULL " functionality
should go.  I've already had to re-examine some of my functions for
unexpected results due to = NULL possibly evaluating to TRUE, an outcome
for which I did not plan.

Plus it leads those new to SQL92 into trouble, as it did with John :-)

-Josh Berkus