Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Jon,

> How exactly?  The column types would just be INT8, right?

Ah.  I see what you mean.  In my application, the columns are all
*named* the same ... clients.usq, orders.usq, etc.  Thus a search on
"usq" through out the application will locate everything.

If you needed and INT8 variable, you could define a custom type on INT8
... and then search on that type.

> Aha!  The only thing I don't get is what do you mean by "execution
> state"?
> (I'm guessing that you're not referring to Texas).

<Snicker>
A variable indicating success or failure.  e.g. In MSSQL, you get a
ReturnValue of INT2 type ... with 0 indicating success, and <> 0 as an
error number.

Speaking of which, one thing I forgot to explicitly mention above is
error trapping of some kind would be extremely useful ...

-Josh Berkus