Re: [Fwd: Re: pgaccess connection problems] - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: pgaccess connection problems]
Date
List pgsql-novice
Rabin,

> I am a novice user hence the novice question.

Welcome to the novice list, then.

>I am able to connect to
>  to the Postmaster using 'psql' while in console mode and in an xterm
>  window. However when I try to connect using 'pgaccess' from the same
>  xterm window or when starting up the program from a window manager I
>  get a 'connection failed message'  followed by the much quoted - 'is
>  the postmaster running on the local host, started with the 'i'
>  option and listening on port 5432.'  During all this the user name
>  remained the same and the Postmaster was running in the background.
>    I  am running Linux and the kernel version is 2.4.8.
> I am not connected via a network hence I don't see the need for the
>  'i' option.

All programs that need to connect to Postgres except for the postgres
 utilities must use the TCP/IP interface to connect.  Thus, while psql
 and pg_dump will work without "-i", pgaccess and pgadmin will not.
  Nor will you be able to access Postgres from, for example, a web
 server on the same machine.

>I have tried it and it causes problems with 'psql..'
>   All connections are made to the local host.

Running postmaster "-i" should not cause problems with psql.  This is
 how postmaster is usually run.

> There is not much documentation on 'pgaccess' other than the man
>  page. Any insight into the problem would be greatly appreciated.

No.  In fact, the PGAccess project has pretty much stalled (for the
 last year) due to lack of interest from the Postgres community.  IF
 anyone on this list wants to do some TCL programming, or raise money
 for the same, contact Constantin Theodescu (sp?) about working on
 PGAccess.

-Josh