Re: Long running queries and timeouts - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Long running queries and timeouts
Date
List pgsql-php
Jean-Michael,

> Are you connecting from Netscape? I noticed long queries timeouted in
>
> Netscape. This is because Nescape waits for the entire content of a
>  page
> before displaying it.

Yes, and several other Mozilla derivatives.  For example, Konqueror has
 a .conf variable that defaults its timeout at 60 seconds.  While one
 can adjust this, you can't count on hundreds of users doing the same.

> PostgreSQL can run very fast when well-optimized. You probably need
> optimize the source code of queries themselves, probably writing some
>  good
> PL/pgSQL server side code. If you need a GUI to do so, download and
>  install
> Dave Page's excellent tool http://pgadmin.postgresql.org

Nope don't need a GUI.  The query in question was actually a procedure
 that evaluated 700-1500 candidates for jobs based on between 14 and 90
 different scalable criteria and then ranked them by suitability.  So
 there was a good reason for it to run for a long time ... that, and
 the DB server's damn Celeron chip which I eventually replaced.

Thanks for the general advice.  I'm sure the other list members will
 benefit from it.

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com