Re: count(*) optimization - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: count(*) optimization
Date
List pgsql-sql
Nikola,

> I am not sure pgAdmin uses count(*) and I didn't have time to check
> phpPgAdmin also, I presumed it from similarly slow response I get in
> psql

Well, pgAdmin and phpPgAdmin have their own mailing lists.  I'd suggest
posting there.   Ideally, these programs should have an option that
lets you use the Analyze stats instead of a real count if you want
speed over accuracy.  If nobody requests it, though, neither
development team is likely to consider it.

Of course, it's also possible that these interfaces are slow for lots
of other reasons.  For example, I've found pgAdminII to be sluggish on
a large, busy network because MS-ODBC is quite vulnerable to traffic
conflicts.  And phpPgAdmin, at least several versions ago, had a
tendency to issue a seperate query for each single bit of information,
mySQL-style (they may have fixed this, though).

-Josh Berkus