Re: db design question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: db design question
Date
List pgsql-novice
Jules,

> sequence and use nextval() primary keys for every table. Someone
> recommended a book (Pascal: practical issues in db management). I've
> ordered it and will read it, hope it will help me make up my mind.

Me.  Unfortunately, it won't help you make up your mind on the OID vs.
Sequence issue.   The reason I reccomended it is that Pascal is a real
fanatic about the relational database model, and gives you
a) detailed explanations of why it's dangerous* to get creative with
the relational model, and
b) suggestions for how to do a lot of complex things *within* the
relational model.
OID vs. sequence is strictly a PostgreSQL implementation issue, and
even the core developers are divided on the issue, though it's 3 to 1
against the last time I saw this argued out.

*not to say that you should *never* get creative -- though Pascal
thinks you shouldn't -- just that it's very important to know the
penalties involved.

-Josh Berkus