Re: What does this tell me? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: What does this tell me?
Date
Re: What does this tell me?
Re: What does this tell me?
List pgsql-performance
Bruce, Sean,

> Oh, yes, you are right.  My hardware tuning guide mentions it.
>  Strange
> it is called the transaction log file:
>
>  http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance/
>
> Unless you are seeing this more freqently than every minute, it
> should
> be fine.

Actually, it's apparently a real problem, because the function never
completes.   Each cycle of "recycling transaction logs" takes longer
and longer, and eventually locks up completely.

What the function is doing is a succession of data cleanup procedures,
updating the same table about 50 times.  I will be very thankful for
the day when I can commit within a procedure.

Unfortunately, I am already at the maximum number of WAL files (64).
 What do I do now?

-Josh Berkus