From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: newbie: Column CHECK(col contains '@') ?
Date
List pgsql-novice
JP,

> Thanks Joel... that did the trick (even better than I had asked for).
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but it your solution a regular expression?

Actually, no.  The LIKE and ILIKE operators are a regular part of SQL.
 They really only accept one "wildcard", the % in place of "anything".

Postgres has a Regexp operator, "~" (the tilde) which does Unix-style
pattern-matching.

> Can anyone suggest a good source where I can read up on these
> (regex's) in relation to postgresql?

2 Places:  Functions and Operators, in the online docs.
Any beginner's guid to PostgreSQL, such as Bruce Momjian's book or the
Wrox Press book.  (see http://techdocs.postgresql.org/  ----> book
reviews).

-Josh Berkus