Re: installation problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: installation problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
Virka,

> i'm having a trouble when installing the postgresql 7.2 on FreeBSD
> 4.2.

Let me caution you that I am an Linux geek, so YMMV.

> at the installation guide i must do the following:
>
> ./configure
> gmake
> su
> gmake install
> adduser postgres
> mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
> chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
> su - postgres
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile
> 2>&1 &

Hmmm.  What happens when you try a straight:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
(I've added the -i because you'll want it later)
This should feed back any problems that postgres is having starting up
to the terminal.

-Josh