Is this a bug, or is it just me? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Is this a bug, or is it just me?
Date
Re: Is this a bug, or is it just me?  (Jan Wieck <janwieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Tom et al.

Discovered this quirk in foriegn keys:

In the preliminary version of a database, I added foriegn
key constraints to a number of tables, linking them to a
column in a shared reference table (status.status) that was
only one-half of a composite primary key (and thus the
values were not unique).  When I tried to delete a row
containing a "2" in the status column from the status
relation, I received a Foreign Key violation error event
though there were other "2"'s in the table still present.

So ... is this a bug in forign key implementation, or just
my fault for keying off a non-unique value?

And, if the latter, is there a way I can construct a foreign
key constraint that keys onto a view or query?

Grazie!

-Josh Berkus