Re: identity columns ? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: identity columns ?
Date
Re: OID  (Lloyd Vancil <lev@apple.com>)
List pgsql-novice
Harald, Chris,

> > 1. M$ SQL Server has an identity column which generates a
>  sequential number
> > for you, we use this often for unique primary keys. Does postgres
>  support
> > anything like  this ?
>
> select *,oid from your_table

NO!!!! This is wrong.  DO NOT USE the oid for anything other than
 system purposes.  It is NOT a user-friendly value for several reasons.

Chris, the data type you want is SERIAL.  Please read the section of
 the docs on sequences:
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-createsequence.html
... as the SERIAL datatype simply automates the creation of a sequence.
  BTW, postgres sequences are both more powerful and more user-friendly
 than MS SQL Identity columns.

I would also strongly suggest buying a beginner's postgresql book, such
 as "PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts" or Wrox Press' PostgreSQL
 book.

-Josh Berkus