Re: fallback_application_name and pgbench - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: fallback_application_name and pgbench
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:21, Takahiro Itagaki
<itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> By default, the application_name of pgbench is "[unknown]". But I think
>> that pgbench should use fallback_application_name as psql, pg_dump,
>> etc does. Is it worth creating the patch?
>
> If we will take care of fallback_application_name for contrib modules,
> we need to fix not only "pgbench" but also "oid2name" and "dblink".
> I think those fixes would be worth; at least for telling third-party
> developers to handle the new parameter.

Uh, why fallback_application_name? Isn't this the *exact* usecase
where "application_name" should be used? At least for the two apps -
fallback_app_name might be correct for dblink.

And yes, I think it's a good idea to set it for at least pgbench and oid2name.

> It might be better to set fallback_application_name automatically
> in libpq, but it requires argv[0] away from main() function.
> GetModuleFilename() is available on Windows for the purpose,
> but I don't know what API is available on other platforms.

I think that's a pretty bad idea in general. But if we do, then it
should at least never override something that's specified - we need to
keep the ability for tools like psql and pgadmin to set it, regardless
of what they happen to have as argv[0].