Postgres 8.3.1 configure fails on Solaris 10 using gcc 3.4.3 and building for 64 bit - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Harry Broomhall
Subject Postgres 8.3.1 configure fails on Solaris 10 using gcc 3.4.3 and building for 64 bit
Date
List pgsql-ports
   I've been using Postgres for years on FreeBSD boxen with very
little problems.

   My company have now given me a big Sun box with 4 AMD64 processors
to told me to port my system to it.  The problem is that I am not
fluent in Solaris!

   I am adding CFLAGS='-m64' to the configure line, but gcc and ld
seem strangely reluctant to use 64bit components, with the configure
script failing to run the test compile with the error:

wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

  I've used 'crle' to set the paths, but it appears that only controls
the loading, not the linking.

   So I would like to know just what parameters to hand to configure
to make this work.

   I had a look on the 'buildfarm' page, and saw that emperor_moth was
nominaly the same type of build.  But I can't see there where a 64 bit
build is being requested.

   I'm probably missing somethig simple!

   Regards,
          Harry.