Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template table? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template table?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Thomas Hallgren <thhal@mailblocks.com> writes:
>

>>I assume that the path of the shared library will be somehow relative to
>>the GUC dynamic_library_path?
>>

>Well, whatever you put in the template is what will be in the probin
>field of the support functions.  I suppose it does not *have* to use
>$libdir, but I would definitely recommend using $libdir rather than
>depending on dynamic_library_path.

I'm not I understand this. The default setting for the
dynamic_library_path is $libdir, isn't it? So why have another hardwired
setting here? Wouldn't it be better if all PL's used the
dynamic_library_path setting at all times?

>>I also assume that the handler name can be prefixed with a schema name?
>>All PL/Java support functions reside in the sqlj schema.
>>

>Not if you use the template facility, they won't.  The handler and
>validator are hard-wired to live in pg_catalog under this scheme.

Ok. That's fine. They're not covered by the SQL standard anyway. I have
a lot of other "support functions" for managing jar files, classpath,
etc. in the database. They all live in the sqlj schema but they will not
be affected by this.

>>The validator for PL/Java will have to wait until 8.2.
>>

>Do you want to drop in a stub?  It's only a one-line function.

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll call them "java_validator" and
"javau_validator" respectively.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren