Re: Status of server side Large Object support? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: Status of server side Large Object support?
Date
Re: Status of server side Large Object support?  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 28. November 2004 12:33 schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
>
>>Hmm, ok. But there's no way to stream them in and out from disk. From
>>what I can see, you have to bring all of it into memory. Not so ideal
>>perhaps if you want to provide streaming media for thousands of users.
>

> You can use the substring function to read the pieces you need.

Won't the substring function bring the whole thing into memory in the
backend before it pass you the piece you need? Let's assume I want to
stream 4k at a time of a 40mb image, that's a whole lot of byte swapping
if that's the case.

How do you handle writes without first creating the whole image in memory?
From what I can see, the current JDBC driver uses the lo_<xxx> client
api's and they seem to map to the inv_<xxx> server api's.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren