Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Most distributions of Linux (yes I know that there is more than Linux
> out there) don't ship with Java. They ship with a wanna be, but couldn't
> be in the next 2 years thing call Gcj.

Gcj is OK with PL/Java, albeit slower then the more common JVM's from
Sun, IBM, or BEA. Unfortunately, Gcj's security implementation is not
complete and that results in that the PL/Java + Gcj combination has the
same issue that PL/Python has. It can't be trusted.

PL/Java relies on standard java security to provide support for the
"trusted" handler. At present, it doesn't function correctly using Gcj.
I've asked the Gcj team when they think they will have this and the
reply that they hope to have it sometime 2005.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren