Re: Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Xiong He
Subject Re: Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections
Date
List pgsql-bugs
You can get the auto vacuum activity from pg_stat view. try to fond which table causes the timeout. and even more you csn disable autovacuum to check whether it still happens.

---Original---
From: "David Johansen"<davejohansen@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Jul 2, 2022 12:34 PM
To: "Andres Freund"<andres@anarazel.de>;
Cc: "pgsql-bugs"<pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org>;
Subject: Re: Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 9:11 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2022-06-27 14:38:21 -0600, David Johansen wrote:
> We're running into an issue where the database can't be connected to. It
> appears that the auto-vacuum is timing out and then that prevents new
> connections from happening. This assumption is based on these logs showing
> up in the logs:
> WARNING:  worker took too long to start; canceled
> The log appears about every 5 minutes and eventually nothing can connect to
> it and it has to be rebooted.

How many databases, tables and functions do you have?

1 database
427 tables
1 function

> What can we do to diagnose this problem and get our database working
> reliably again?

Downthread you said you're on RDS - unfortunately you're going to have quite
limited access and are going to have to take it up with AWS.

Yes, I definitely understand that AWS will likely need to be involved or resolve this issue, but as I said previously, I'm trying to be proactive and just see what I could find.