Re:RE: RE: How do I select composite array element that satisfy specific conditions. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From a
Subject Re:RE: RE: How do I select composite array element that satisfy specific conditions.
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you so much, I may discuss more on what I am doing so that it might have a clearer version for me and if you would be so kind to provide your opinions on this.

The target industry is insurance industry and the table is used to hold policy data for insurance company.

The key reason for doing complex structure is sourced from the nature of policy information.

1, For a policy, we would have basic info about insurant, beneficiary, product name and so on.

2, But that's surely not enough, we also need the history of policy status, when it started, when it deactivated when it break into payment and so on.

3, Above that, we also need to have financial information about that, like receivable account and cash account. Adjustments and money in/out due to the change of policy statues (such as payment);

4, Beside that, I'm in actuary team, so we need to value the actual contribution each policy is doing for the company. Therefore, more information about cash flow projection, survival rate (regulator will require you to perform multiple scenarios so they would have multiple entries that conduct the result).

5, furthermore, for profit analysis reason, the expected cash flow and the actual cash flow would needed.

That is only by saying, the actual information could be much more, and all of them are not in some way, "aligned".

The results would be millions(which means many) of tables lies in database and each query is hundreds of lines. It is hard to create new query that target your info and it is dangerous to modify any set query.

Now my think was to group data into structures so that I can significantly decrease the amount of table, and since it can hold array, I can actually put historical data into one table for one year, which stops query from multiple historical tables and shrink the size of database.

However, I am new to this and do not have experience, so if you could provide any suggestion, it would be extremely grateful from me.

I will look up json and try on the efficiency when I have time. And again, thanks for answering my questions.