Re: [PROPOSAL] Table Partition - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From My Life
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Table Partition
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> There is already a recent proposal on hackers about partition support in PostgreSQL by Amit Langote.
> You will find the thread at http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/55D3093C.5010800@lab.ntt.co.jp.

Actually, I have seen this design before, and it was not just a design, it has been implemented. I agree with it although I still have some reservations, because I think it is a little more complicated.
1. you store all partition info into 2 system catalogs: pg_partitioned_rel, pg_partition. it will be less efficient to access and maintain the partition info, include scan, add, delete, modify action, maybe concurrency. And the data volumn will get larger and larger.
2. the column 'anyarray partrangebounds' in
pg_partition is not very accurate, and we cannot use the index access operators associated with some data type.

> In your design, can index scan be used for individual partition? If yes,
> can you share how it is handled?
of course,
index scan can be used for individual partition.
because we make a unique constraint on partkey1, ..., partkeyN on pg_partition.pg_partition_2586.
the
unique constraint is really a unique index.
if a index scan's index condition involved the partkey, we can use this unique index to choose the matched partitions in a specified order. and expand the partitioned table's index scan node into a list of partition's index scan node. In this way, the 'PartitionExpand' plan node likes the 'Append' plan node, but has some difference.