Re: prevent user change password? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Hayward
Subject Re: prevent user change password?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:39:22 -0400, tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane)
wrote:

>> I have a database with a 'Guest' account, that will have limited
>> access. I don't want any of my guests to change the Guest account
>> password.
>
>Perhaps you should use something other than password authentication
>for the guest account.

Thanks for your reply Tom,

I want anyone from anywhere to be able to connect to my_database (only
my_database,  not others in the cluster) using the guest account. The
system is to be live on the Internet.

Putting:

host  my_database  guest   0.0.0.0      0.0.0.0  trust

ahead of other entries in pg_hba.conf seems to do the trick. Even if
guest is given a password, or it gets changed, guest can connect
without being asked for it.

The guest account will only be allowed select permissions.

Does this open me to being attacked? I assume guest could then query
various system tables, but that other users passwords are either not
visible or securely encrypted.

regards
Richard