Re: Calculation Functions between Columns - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Mark Stosberg
Subject Re: Calculation Functions between Columns
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 2004-09-26, Neacal <deb@mac.ppc> wrote:

> In the O'Reilly book, I can find a number of functions described which
> look like tools for the job, but they are all mentioned as methods to
> SELECT FROM, rather than INSERT INTO.  I haven't found anything (so
> far) on columns that can depend on/derive from other columns.  Have I
> missed something, or doesn't PostgreSQL do this sort of thing?

What you are describing sounds like a good use for a "view" to me.

Here's an example:

CREATE TABLE sales (
    amount            int,
    quantity        int
);

INSERT into sales values (2,3);

CREATE view sub_total as
    SELECT (amount * quantity) as subtotal
    FROM sales;

SELECT * from sub_total;

 subtotal
        6

There are more complex solutions as well, such as using triggers to
automatically update the value of one column based on others.

    Mark