Re: Which Front End for Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From manuel@des01.sanyres.es
Subject Re: Which Front End for Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <3B02682C.3F2407D@mbit.nl>, Nils Zonneveld wrote:

> Al Frick wrote:
>
>> I may try FreeBSD as the server.  But I am a little confused.  My
>> clients want Windows on the work stations.  Can this be done?
>>

> The PostgreSQL ODBC driver for win32 works fine. With packages like
> MS-Access, Delphi, VB etc. you can write a client application and
> connect thru ODBC. There is also a JDBC driver available which makes it
> possible to connect to PostgreSQL from a Java written client.
>
>> Can the FreeBSD server with Postgresql then act as a database server
>> for internal data and as a web host for publishing data to the Net?  I
>> realize there are security issues here.  Would it be better to have an
>> internal data server and have an external web host?
>
> You can put the webserver on another machine then your databaseserver.
> You can connect to the PostgreSQL server via TCP/IP (don't forget to
> switch the -i parameter on for the postmaster).
>
>> Can Postgresql
>> handle the same data on two different servers if I do this?  Does it
>> have replication or some other feature that makes off site web hosting
>> possible?
>>

> AFAIK replication and joining tables over multiple databases are not
> supported in PostgreSQL. But if you keep your database on one machine
> your clientprograms should be able to connect from diferent machines to
> the databaseserver. You can configure PostgreSQL only to accept
> connections from specified domains and/or IP addresses.
>
> HTH,
>
> Nils

Yeah!
We use PostgreSQL on a Netfinity and our "clients" (our three work centers)
are at miles (well, kilometers here (300km)) from headquarters.
Clients use web pages (php) over a VPN via ADSL.
There are two servers that access the databases directly via dedicated
line, but a few states ahead from our office.
The web pages are served from a different machine than db.
They work simply perfect.

I have simply forgotten the problems I used to have with other "systems".

--
Manuel Cano Muñoz