Re: Backup and analyse - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jdassen@cistron.nl (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Subject Re: Backup and analyse
Date
List pgsql-general
Christopher Sawtell <csawtell@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>a) Does VACUUMing ( with ANALYSE ) in effect perform a file consistency
>check on the database structure as a side effect?

As I understand it, it is more of a cleanup than a file consistency check.

>b) Is it ok to VACUUM while the database  is alive and active?

Yes.

>c) Can I backup via pg_dump while the database is alive and active and have
>the backup consistent to the state the database was in when the backup
>started?

The backup is consistent; I assume it's consistent with the state of the
database when pg_dump was started.

HTH,
Ray
--
Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but "instant karma" always gets so lumpy.