Re: SMP support? Yes or no - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From jdassen@cistron.nl (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Subject Re: SMP support? Yes or no
Date
List pgsql-admin
Mario Jorge Nunes Filipe <mjnf@uevora.pt> wrote:
>Is postgres smp aware or not?

AFAIK, PostgreSQL is not explicitly SMP-aware, but given that a separate
backend server (postmaster) is started for each database connection, it will
take advantage of SMP automatically when there is more than one simultaneous
database connection.

>The problem is like this: I have a table or i check if there is a record
>with determined number of conditions, if there is i continue to use that
>record has a pointer to other table so that I can perform my stuff. This
>worked previously, but now i'm getting several record under the very same
>conditions

I strongly doubt this is SMP-related. I've been using PostgreSQL (7.0.3
recompiled for Debian potato) on several SMP machines without any unexpected
behaviour whatsoever.

HTH,
Ray
--
 The "free" in "free software" refers to freedom, not price; specifically,
that all computer users should have the freedom to study, change, and