Re: AW: \c connects as another user instead I want in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ian Lance Taylor
Subject Re: AW: \c connects as another user instead I want in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> No.  I'm not sure whether or not I believe the comment about Unix
> accounts; Postgres does not care about Unix accounts, and never has
> to my knowledge.  But it has always used the usesysid as owner
> identification for database objects (tables etc).  If two different
> users have the same usesysid then they are both the owner of these
> objects; moreover they are interchangeable for permissions checks, too.
> This is not a situation that has any practical use AFAICS.

On Unix it is reasonable to have multiple users with the same user ID.
You do this when they play the same role, but it is useful to
distinguish them for logging purposes.  They have different passwords,
of course, and logging code uses getlogin() to get the login name they
used.

I can imagine something similar within Postgres, using triggers to
record log information when changes are made.

Whether this is a feature worth having, I don't know.  But there is at
least one practical use.

Ian

TIP 924: Good news from afar can bring you a welcome visitor.