Re: Log files, how to rotate properly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Lance Taylor
Subject Re: Log files, how to rotate properly
Date
List pgsql-general
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:

> On Wednesday 13 June 2001 16:39, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Lamar Owen writes:
> > > Use syslog.  Syslog has many advantages:
> > Disadvantage:
>
> > Some messages will get lost.
>
> I have yet to see a 'lost' syslog message here, in over three years.
>
> Which is worse, though:
> 1.)    An occasional lost log message;
> 2.)    Downtime due to pulling down the entire server to rotate a log.
>
> If syslog looses messages, let's try helping fix syslog rather than
> recommending Yet Another Log Rotating Solution.

The implementation of syslog--routing messages through a named pipe
with a limited amount of buffer space--makes it inevitable that
messages will be lost under heavy load.  Sometimes heavy load is when
you most need the messages.

Also, under heavy load, syslog can fill up your disk.

DJB's multilog program is a reliable alternative:
    http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

Ian