Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Harding
Subject Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date
List pgsql-general
I am _definitely_ not trying to sell MSSQL Server, but the version of TDS (Tabular Data Stream) that MSSQL Server users
hasbeen pretty thoroughly reverse engineered by the FreeTDS (http://www.freetds.org) group.  I use it to access Sybase
serversin production but have used it against MSSQL Server 7 with good results.

Ooohh. ... I just had a fantasy about a migration tool that uses FreeTDS to bring over tables and data...

Ian

>>> Avi Schwartz <avi@CFFtechnologies.com> 06/11/03 08:38PM >>>
The biggest improvement we noticed was in two areas.  We have some very
complex selects that join 7-8 tables which perform 30-40% faster under
PGSQL.  The second thing that performs better are the above mentioned
result set returning stored procedures.

BTW, the reason we started looking at PSQL is not due to performance,
this just came as a pleasant surprise.  The real reason is in the fact
the we are 90% linux in our server environment and the only Windows
component is SQL Server 7.  SS7 does not play nicely with Linux and
lacks any tools to use from the Linux environment.  Windows itself is
hard to manage remotely and since the production environment is
co-located it became a real issue.

Avi