Re: Linked Servers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Harding
Subject Re: Linked Servers
Date
List pgsql-general
There is something called dblink in contrib that I think does something like that.  However, it is not as easy or
transparentas the MSSQL Server (and I assume Oracle) implementations.

One thing to consider is using the good bits of MSSQL Server.  You can set up the linked servers in it and use it as a
datasourcefor your app.  It's a kludge and there are (of course) licensing issues, but if the ability to do
cross-serverqueries is limited to a few 'users' it might be worth doing.  Particulary because I believe this feature is
enabledin the MSDE (free) version of MSSQL Server.  As I recall the only things that are handcuffed in it are
concurrentconnections (15?) and datbaase size (2GB?).

FreeTDS can connect directly to MSSQL Server from your favorite *nix variant.  I use it to connect to Sybase from
NetBSDvia AOLServer.

Ian Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
iharding@tpchd.org
Phone: (253) 798-3549
Pager: (253) 754-0002

>>> Mike Withers <M.withers@uws.edu.au> 06/01/03 06:18PM >>>
Hi

I like to ask if it is possible to set up linked servers in a similar
fashion to MS SQL or Oracle such that there is a common login/workspace and
query structure which identifies "server-database-table" at the SQL query
level?

I have looked at FAQ and searched manuals and archives. Any suggestions?

Mike Withers
University of Western Sydney
Australia