Re: Temporary tables and indexes - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ian Harding
Subject Re: Temporary tables and indexes
Date
List pgsql-sql
Sure there is!   There are queries that benefit from having a temporary table created for a subquery and the temporary
tableindexed before the join.  Since we can't easily return result sets from functions yet, it's not probably used that
much,but from within a function, I can see why you might want to do this from time to time.

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
iharding@tpchd.org

WWSD - What Would Scooby Doo?

>>> "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> 10/08/02 08:36AM >>>
Ludwig,

>   Are the indices of a temporary table automatically
> "dropped" together its corresponding temporary table
> after a database session?

I'm kind of surprised that it's possible to index a temporary table.There's not much point in doing so.

Yes, the indexes would be dropped as well.

-Josh Berkus

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster