Re: [ADMIN] CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW / TRIGGER - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Harding
Subject Re: [ADMIN] CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW / TRIGGER
Date
List pgsql-general
This brings up a question I have been meaning to ask....

RI constraints create triggers.  You can't drop RI constraints, so if you re-create one that already exists you
accidentallycreate duplicate RI triggers (or so it appears to my untrained hyperopic eyes).

Would this kind of functionality (whenever added) also affect creation of RI triggers?  i.e. if I run

alter table scooby add constraint fk_scooby_scrappy foreign key (puppyid) references scrappy (scrappyid);

twice, I won't get twice as many RI triggers as I need?  I would be happy either with this behaviour or the ability to
altertable scooby drop constraint fk_scooby_scrappy (already in TODO I think). Just asking.

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
mailto: iharding@tpchd.org

Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr> writes:
> I know it is feature freeze, so forgive me for this (ancien) question : would
> it possible to add CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW and CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER in
> current PostgreSQL 7.2 release?

No.  RC1 is *tomorrow*, and we're not pushing it back to add features.

> Otherwise, it will take another year before
> these long-needed features are added.

I'd like to ask people not to adopt the mindset that PG releases are a
year apart.  I know it's been that way for the last two, but the project
goals are still to have a release every four-to-six months.  If we go
into the development cycle with the notion that the next release is a
year out, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.