Antw: Re: GETTIMEOFDAY_1ARG change - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ulrich Neumann
Subject Antw: Re: GETTIMEOFDAY_1ARG change
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Thomas,

i m working on postgres for 2 new platforms, NetWare 6 and a future
64 bit OS that is under development.

On NetWare timezone is defined as a global variable, seconds from GMT.
But wait, gettimeofday will be added to NetWare so there isn t any
change neccessary anymore.

On the other hand the struct isn t used in the mentioned functions,
so for
"correctness" it could be added.

Thanks for your answers

Ulrich Neumann

Ulrich Neumann
 _          _
| _  |\  | |_   GNE GmbH - Brechhoferstr. 1 - 56316 Raubach
|_|  |  \| |_   http://www.gne.de, Tel.: +49 2684-9454-0, Fax -94,
David: -71

GNE Hostmaster (hostmaster@gne.de)
CNA3, CNA4, CNA5, CNE3, CNE4, CNE5, Pending MCNE
Offizieller Novell SysOp für das Novell DeveloperNet

>>> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> 08.01.2002 16:00:11 >>>
> i would like to add the following changes to the code so that
postgres
> doesn t have any problems if we compile it on machines that have
> gettimeofday with 1 ARG and therefore don t need 'struct timezone
xxx'
> I m working on a System where timezone is defined in another way.

What system? How is timezone defined for that system? Is it something
completely new and different, or a variant which we already handle in
other places but not for this case?

> 2.postgres.c
> ResetUsage(void)
> {
> #ifndef GETTIMEOFDAY_1ARG
>         struct timezone tz;
> #endif
>
>         getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, &Save_r);
>         gettimeofday(&Save_t, &tz);

So what "one argument" does gettimeofday() have? Where does "tz" come
from if it is not defined here? Does it become a global variable?
Where
is it declared?

afaik the nabstime.c usage of gettimeofday() has been in the
PostgreSQL
code for quite a while, so I'm suprised that this is a problem on the
new mystery platform ;)

                    - Thomas

   This mail is virus scanned
   Diese mail ist virusgeprueft