Re: Does Postgres rollback transactions on all errors? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Eric Naujock
Subject Re: Does Postgres rollback transactions on all errors?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Yes postgress does do rollbacks but you have to wrap your actions to make them work.

You have to end your actions with either a commit or rollback. That will make the tranaction  finish as you would
expect.

The commit command is covered on page 127 of the manual and rollback is on 253.

It may just take a bit of experimentation to get it to behave right.

Ryan Ho <ryanho@cyberronins.com> writes:
> In a transaction, should any of the sql statements fail to execute, does Postgres rollback all the previous
statements?

Yes.

> To my best knowledge, it should but I have observed that on some occasions, half my transaction can get committed,
whilethe other half is unsuccessful.

Hard to believe.  Can you provide some evidence?