Re: shared_buffers documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: shared_buffers documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think this advice is badly outdated.
>
> Yeah.
>
>> s/tens/hundreds/ might be a good idea at a minimum,
>
> +1
>
>> but I'm thinking we might want to also mention the
>> one-quarter-of-system-memory heuristic.
>
> Given how many people seem to find that a good guideline, it seems
> like we should.  I wonder if we should add any hints telling people
> what they might see as problems if they are too far one way or the
> other.  (Or does that go beyond the scope of what makes sense in
> TFM?)

No, I think that would be reasonable provided someone can come up with
some appropriate wording.  My understanding is that if you have a
really small system then you might need >25% and if you have a really
big system you might need <25%, but I'm not sure where the edges are.

...Robert